Program Director – Artificial Intelligence
In our collective pursuit of a sustainable future, the Advanced Research Projects Agency–Energy (ARPA-E) has emerged as a beacon, leading the charge in supporting transformative, impactful energy solutions. As the International Energy Agency attests, 65% of the technologies needed to meet our global emissions targets are already in play. ARPA-E champions the innovation of the remaining 35%, championing high-impact energy solutions too high-risk for private-sector investment.
Originating from a vision to ensure the U.S. retains its leadership in science and technology, ARPA-E has directed over $3.63 billion into transformative energy endeavors, culminating in revolutionary technological breakthroughs, game-changing patents, and robust private-sector funding.
Join our mission to shape the energy landscape of the future to ensure the nation's environmental health and economic prosperity.
The Program Director of AI at ARPA-E is a visionary leader who is uniquely positioned at the intersection of energy and artificial intelligence. You’ll play a pivotal role in identifying technological gaps and spearheading innovative AI solutions to address our nation's energy challenges. As a key figure within ARPA-E, you’ll be entrusted with a significant budget and tasked with both the creation and management of transformative AI-centric energy programs. This dynamic role offers the opportunity to make a global impact, driving the integration of AI in energy solutions and shaping the future of sustainable energy.
- Lead the development and management of a portfolio of AI-focused programs, including identifying gaps and potential areas of innovation in the energy sector.
- Oversee a $50M to $100M budget, ensuring effective allocation and utilization for maximum impact.
- Collaborate with internal teams and external stakeholders to craft Funding Opportunity Announcements (FOAs) and manage the proposal evaluation process.
- Actively manage projects, ensuring they align with ARPA-E's mission and objectives.
- Engage in continuous market assessment to pinpoint potential new funding areas for AI-centric ARPA-E technologies.
- Spearhead external outreach activities, building a robust stakeholder ecosystem and fostering collaborations.
- Work closely with leadership and communication teams to refine agency messaging and bolster ARPA-E’s profile in the AI domain.
- Serve as a primary point of contact for AI initiatives within ARPA-E, collaborating with other agency leaders.
- Drive the growth, improvement, and culture of the organization, contributing to the broader ARPA-E mission.
- Represent ARPA-E at various platforms, promoting the agency's AI initiatives and fostering industry collaborations.
- Advanced degree in a scientific or engineering field required, Ph.D. preferred.
- At least 10 years of R&D experience, with deep technical expertise in AI and its applications in energy.
- Demonstrated R&D leadership experience, including organizational, project, and/or industry roles.
- Entrepreneurial spirit, coupled with a passion for ARPA-E’s mission and a strong business acumen.
- Comprehensive understanding of the U.S. energy landscape, its challenges, and the potential role of AI.
- Proven record of accomplishments, including publications, patents, technical reports, and/or commercial impact.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to convey complex AI concepts to diverse audiences.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Willingness and ability to undertake significant travel.
- This is a term-limited position for an initial three-year term with the opportunity to extend by mutual agreement.
- This role is based in Washington, D.C. Routine remote work is not permitted.
- Relocation assistance offered.