Deputy Director of Commercialization
In our collective pursuit of a sustainable future, the Advanced Research Projects Agency–Energy (ARPA-E) has emerged as a beacon, leading the charge in supporting transformative, impactful energy solutions. As the International Energy Agency attests, 65% of the technologies needed to meet our global emissions targets are already in play. ARPA-E champions the innovation of the remaining 35%, championing high-impact energy solutions too high-risk for private-sector investment.
Originating from a vision to ensure the U.S. retains its leadership in science and technology, ARPA-E has directed over $3.63 billion into transformative energy endeavors, culminating in revolutionary technological breakthroughs, game-changing patents, and robust private-sector funding.
Join our mission to shape the energy landscape of the future to ensure the nation's environmental health and economic prosperity.
The Deputy Director for Commercialization at ARPA-E is a visionary leader, steering the charge in transitioning groundbreaking energy innovations from concept to market. As a senior figure within ARPA-E, this role is pivotal in crafting the agency's commercialization strategy while working closely with Tech-to-Market Advisors and other agency leaders. The Deputy Director is not only a respected thought leader in the energy and climate change mitigation sectors but also an entrepreneurial spirit, constantly seeking new avenues to amplify ARPA-E's mission and impact. Representing ARPA-E at various platforms, this role is one of the primary public faces of the agency.
- Lead the Tech-to-Market team in developing commercialization strategies for ARPA-E performers.
- Oversee all of ARPA-E’s commercialization efforts, including providing guidance and insights to the team.
- Spearhead the design and execution of ARPA-E’s Seeding Critical Advances for Leading Energy technologies with Untapped Potential (SCALEUP) program, ensuring technologies transition from prototypes to commercially scalable solutions.
- Continuously assess markets to pinpoint potential new funding areas for ARPA-E technologies.
- Drive external outreach activities to foster a commercial stakeholder ecosystem aligned with awardees’ growth goals.
- Collaborate with leadership and communication teams to refine agency messaging and bolster ARPA-E’s profile.
- Serve as the primary commercialization contact for the ARPA-E Director.
- Participate in agency-wide management, including budgetary and personnel decisions, and setting the agency’s technical vision.
- Identify and engage with potential follow-on funding sources for ARPA-E performers.
- Advise ARPA-E performers on strategic opportunities, including capital raising, partnerships, and venture formations.
- Advanced degree in a technical discipline.
- At least 10 years of leadership experience in technology commercialization, business development, or entrepreneurship within a tech-driven organization, preferably in the energy or climate change mitigation sector.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills with the ability to convey technical and/or financial concepts to diverse audiences.
- Profound technical communication background and experience.
- Familiarity with new company formation and venture investing.
- Demonstrated interest or expertise in energy and energy technologies.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Willingness and ability to undertake significant travel.
- This is a term-limited position for an initial three-year term with the opportunity to extend by mutual agreement.
- This role is based in Washington, D.C. Routine remote work is not permitted.
- Relocation assistance offered.